Monday, January 25, 2010

Who Am I?

Tonight is my favorite night of the month! BOOK CLUB!!!! I am released from all my "mommy" duties and let out into the delightful world of adult interaction. Don't get me wrong, I love being a stay-at-home mom. However, I crave conversations that do not involve the repetitive word "why", foot stomping, and persistent begging.

My hardworking husband comes home from his job just in time for a high five tag to take over child care duties. Amazingly enough he does this with very little complaint even though it involves bathing and tucking in three very tired and cranky kids (the youngest of which is very mommy rotten and screams the entire time until he falls asleep). I almost feel sorry for him. Then I remember the 1 am wake-up call I received from a sick baby, the 2:30 am nightmare that had to be comforted and snugly tucked back into bed, and finally the 4:45 am alarm clock that lets my husband know that Monday has arrived.

I give everyone a quick kiss and a hug and slip out the front door. When I get into the car I turn the radio to anything other than Veggie Tales or Vacation Bible School songs, turn up the volume, take a deep breath, and......... try to remember who I am.

Am I the mom of SGJ, TJ, and BJ? Am I the wife of EJ? Am I the family nurse, a housekeeper, a teacher, a cook, a counselor, a friend, a lover? I close my eyes and quietly search the depths of my heart and soul for the answer to who I am. My heart fills with gratitude and I smile because I know that by the grace of God....... I AM ALL THESE THINGS!

2 comments:

  1. Great job Courtney! Have fun at Bookclub tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you, my little protégée! Get a few more under your belt, girlfriend, and I will unveil you to the divas of Blogdom...

    ReplyDelete