Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lessons from a Five Year Old

Sunday is our family day of rest. After arriving home from church we eat lunch and then snuggle up as a family for a movie and usually a nap. This past Sunday was no different, except after our movie/nap I stepped outside to speak to our neighbors and was met with a nice warm breeze! I quickly spoke with the neighbors and then ran inside to drag my sleepy heads outside for some much needed fresh air! A collective decision was made to go for a short walk before dinner. So off we go. SG and TJ decided to ride their bikes, BJ was strapped into the stroller, and I went the traditional route and walked.



Our neighborhood is full of steep, make you wish for a chair lift hills which are perfect for hurtling down on a bike. SG and TJ had just completed one hill and were patiently waiting for me to catch up so they could tackle the next hill. I always give them the same instructions: Stay on the side of the road, use your pedal breaks to slow yourself down, wait for me at the bottom, and be careful not to run over each other. So off they go screaming and giggling their way to the bottom. This time however SG failed to heed my warning. She neglected to slow down and was on a dangerous crash course with her brother. As she quickly approached him she swerved to avoid plowing into him, lost control, and fell hard, face first onto the pavement. I of course ran down the hill pushing an umbrella stroller (not the most graceful descent) as she lay face first on the pavement screaming. Luckily it was just a few scrapes and a bruised chin. After dusting her off and kissing all her boo boos better we headed home.



As we approached our house SG began to giggle. I asked her what was so funny and she explained that she was laughing because of how loud she was screaming when she fell. I told her that I thought she was laughing because she saw me running down that hill. She gave me a puzzled look saying that she did not see me running because "I was too busy looking at the road."



After a chuckle at her dry wit it occurred to me that I often do the same thing! I fail to heed the warning of danger given to me by my heavenly Father. I hurtle myself head first down the slippery slope of sin and inevitably lose control and crash. I lay in the pit I have fallen into feeling sorry for myself and I am "too busy looking at the road" to see that Jesus is running down that hill to save me! He scoops me up and loves the hurt away offering forgiveness for my failures.



Thank you Lord for ALWAYS running to save me even when I am too busy wallowing in self pity to see you coming for me! Thank you for loving me enough to pick me up, dust me off, and give me another chance to live my life for your glory! Amen!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You are so awesome and I am so glad we are getting to know each other better! Look forward it more and more!

    ReplyDelete