Monday, November 29, 2010

It's Just a Game

I know I am about to make a lot of people mad but I really need to vent!  To all fanatical college football fans.......GET OVER IT!  IT IS JUST A GAME!

I was born into a family that bleeds orange.  I grew up in Tiger (Clemson) country in a family where just about everybody graduated from that university.  I remember many a fall football game, Tigerama, and knew that to find my way to these events all I had to do was follow the tiger paws.  My favorite song growing up was "The eye of the Tiger" followed by the "Tiger Rag". But then I was branded a traitor......I gained my college degree from the rivaling university (yes it was USC).  And then to add insult to injury I had the audacity to marry a graduate from said university.

Since my defection I have witnessed some very sad and ridiculous behavior from all sides of this rivalry.  Each Thanksgiving I endure the family feud.  I watch as my beloved family members' physical and emotional health either bolster or deteriorate based on the outcome of a GAME.  I have witnessed loved ones cut off contact with each other due to all the "smack" being dished out by the team that thinks they are going to win.  It may take days even weeks before contact is reestablished.  It is all very sad to watch.

I want all to listen very carefully.......you seriously need to rethink your priorities if your "love of the game" is harming your relationships with your friends and family.  Now I know what you are thinking...."I'm not hurting anyone.  It is all in good fun.  Everyone knows that."  Let me make this clear to you, "NO THEY DO NOT!!!!!"  If your behavior is obnoxious (if you have mood swings based on the outcome of the game then your behavior is obnoxious) you are offending your loved ones!!!!!  If you have to bash the WINNING team in order to make yourself feel better about the losing team, then you are offending your loved ones.  GET OVER IT!!!!  IT IS JUST A GAME!!!

I would love to see these football fanatics become JESUS fanatics.  I would like to see people promote and defend JESUS they way they promote and defend their beloved football team.  I would like for people to show up in church with the same enthusiasm and participation that they have for tailgating and a football game.  I would like to see people put as much faith in JESUS as they do in those 18 to 22 year old boys who are playing a GAME.   JUST IMAGINE IF THAT WERE TO HAPPEN!

3 comments:

  1. These are things I would love to scream on FB every Saturday during the games!! But you're right- just think if all those people became Jesus freaks instead??? Now that would be worth the insanity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Monica- I do feel better but I could say much more....I am practicing the art of self restraint! LOL

    ReplyDelete